Monday, March 11, 2013


Angela

Art 11

Homework #5

3/11/2013

 

In art class for my blog post #5 I was asked to explain the differences between Roman and Gothic Arches in art.

             While I was reading chapter number 13 in the art book I was able to learn so much about the Gothic Art. According to the book the Gothic term primarily came from the Western Europe around the twelfth century and in France around the sixteenth century and to other parts of Europe.

I believe that one of the differences between and Gothic Arches in art is that the Romanesque follow the Gothic style. The Gothic style refers to the time during the Middle Ages in European architecture. Another way where I was able to notice differences between Roman and Gothic Arches it was when I was looking at the shape of the arches architecture and the count of window. The word Romanesque came because that follow the Roman style as opposed of Gothic people who were more based on making the architecture more pointed because of the idea of elevation meaning having higher buildings. An example of this is in page one hundred and ninety eight; there the book shows a diagram of a Gothic cathedral.

 There is a quote in the book that catches my attention that said “Since the wall space between buttress were no longer necessary for structural support. They could be pierced by large windows to achieve the desired increases in light.” While I was reading about the Gothic arch’s architecture in the book I notice that the pointed arch is an intersection of two arcs of nonconcentric circles. Another example that shows a different between these two terms is that the pointed arch minimize the lateral, or the sideways in the structure against the wall. This pointed arch permit the structure to be more flexible building element.

So what I have learned in art about the differences between Roman and Gothic Arches, I believe that by now my classmates and me we are able to learn many reasons why architects invented Gothic arches when Roman arches were already invented. I am now able to understand why we have in today society many churches with pointed roof; they are following the Gothic arch art. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment