Monday, April 29, 2013


Art 11 class

Painting vs. Photography

Blog #6

In my art 11 class I was asked to explain how photography changed the way people understand painting.

While I was watching the video based on John Berger’s TV series “Way of Seeing “, I was able to notice that when paintings are being reproduced they became a form of information . Paintings are images that can be used by anybody and any purpose.

During the 20 century John Berger discovered something about ourselves and the situation that we are living in. There many evidence in the video that shows how he discovered something about us. One of the examples that he used in the video was perspective makes the eye. Appearances can travel around the world.

 Photography has changed the way people understand painting. We are able to observe some of this change in the film of 1928. The video explained the invention of the camera. The painting in the wall, as a human eye, can only be in one place at one time.  Another way that I and my classmates were able to notice how painting has changed the way people understands painting is with the development of new technology to see painting. For example the video mentioned that the days of pilgrims are over, because a painting now comes to you. You don’t have to go to them.

After watching the video by Berger’s I have obtained the privileges to learn to appreciate more a painting. I now understand that is it so important to preserve the images of a painting because of market values. What I mean by market value is what painting lost when camera made them reproductive, like multiple possible meaning and destroy it original meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment